(Hydrometallurgy in Norway)
Norske undervisningsinstiusjoner og industri samarbeider om å styrke kompetanse innenfor hydrometallurgi.
An 10 credit point introductionary course is provided as part of the Hydromet project. Details about the course and teaching material is provided on this page.
The course runs from September to December 2016.
Contact person: Jon Petter Omtvedt (UiO)
Course book: Michael L. Free: Hydrometallurgy : Fundamentals and Applications, Wiley ISBN: 9781118230770 (print), 9781118732465 (online) (2013)
Video taped lectures from our hydrometallurgy seminar at NTNU in March 2016 is included as part of the teaching (se below).
Case studies - examples from our partner factories.
Video taped lectures from NTNU Seminar in March 2016
Kick-off mini-seminar at UiO 16th September 2016
Lecture: History (Dag Ø. Eriksen) - Slides - Podcast
Link to Video: Story of Stuff
Excursion to Yara in Porsgrunn 5th-7th October 2016
- 08:39 Train R11 from Oslo S to Porsgrunn
- 12:00 Lunch
- 13:00 Course group work/project
- 16:00 End of workday
- 19:00 Dinner
- 08:45 Registration and PPE
- 09:00 Presentation of Yara (Kari-Anne)
- 10:00 Tour of Yara pilot-plant and factory
- 12:00 Lunch
- 13:00 Welcome to Course (JPO)
- 13:15 "From lab to industry scale" Geir Moe (BIS)
- 14:00 Break
- 14:15 "Strategically important metals and their supply"
- 15:00 Break
- 15:15 "Recycling Li-ion Batteries" Alessio Vascon (UiO)
- 16:00 End
- 09:00 Good Morning!
- 09:15 "Review of chemical activities" Hans V. Lerum (UiO)
- 10:00 Break
- 10:15 "Hydrometallurgy at Yara" case study (group work)
- 12:00 End course
- 13:25 Train R11 from Porsgrunn to Oslo S.
Excursion to Glencore in Kristiansand and Boliden in Odda 20th-24th November 2016
Tentative lectures and topics at Glencore and Boliden
(they are not scheduled yet)
- "Using Ionic Liquids in Hydrometallurgy" Isabelle Billard
- "Environmental Concerns at a Hydrometallurgical Factory"
Agnar Målsnes (Boliden Odda)
- "Hydrometallurgy at Glencore" case study (group work)
- "Hydrometallurgy at Boliden" case study (group work)
- "Eh-pH diagrams (Pourbaix-diagrams)"
can be downloaded here. Notice that the chapter about "Chemical fundementals of hydrometallurgy" is considered known from earlier courses (this might not be the case for the BSc students and they should change accordingly). The chapter "General Engineering Statistics" will not be examined and hence not included in the page count.